Welcome to Lafayette — the heart of Cajun Country
Here you’ll discover the rich history of our French, Spanish and Caribbean ancestors. Learn how these diverse cultures came together, creating
art and architecture, music and dance, food and celebrations and a "Joie de Vivre” that has influenced not only the lives of everyone in our
state, but has made an impact on the entire world.
If you’re planning a trip our city, we’re here to help with resources and information on everything from accommodations and restaurants to events
and attractions. There’s something for everyone, so prepare to be enlightened, educated and most of all entertained.
To learn more, visit: Lafayette Travel or Downtown Lafayette.
LAGCOE is held in an extraordinary city, Lafayette, LA which has recently been voted:
- Happiest City in America – 2014 A Wall Street Journal's Marketwatch.com study showed that Lafayette, La is the happiest city in America.
- Fastest Growing Metros – According to a study by IHS Global, in 2012 Lafayette is projected to have the highest growth in employment (8.8%)
and the second highest gross metropolitan product growth (7.5%) of 363 metro areas. Source: IHS Global, July 2012
- Leading Location – Lafayette was named #1 among the Top 20 Southern Cities and #3 overall among Area Development's 100 Leading Locations. Lafayette
topped the "Economic Strength" indicators among the Top-25 Mid-Size Cities, and was 3rd among this same group for its "Recession Busting"
factors. Lafayette reportedly has "found a way to thrive in the midst of adversity, to prosper while so many places have struggled". Source:
Area Development, Summer 2012
- Best City for Job Growth – Lafayette was ranked #1 in the "Best Cities for Job Growth " listing among other medium-sized cities and4th in the
overall rank.The index is calculated based on Bureau of Labor Statistics employment data and takes into account recent growth trend, mid-term
growth, long-term trend and momentum, and current year growth. Source: New Geography, May 2012
Additionally, the following awards pay tribute to the area’s robust culture:
- Tastiest Town (AAA Southern Traveler)
- Best Getaway in the South (AAA Southern Traveler)
- South’s Tastiest Town (Southern Living Poll)
- Best For Food (Rand McNally
- Best of the Road for Food) Optimistic (Gallop Poll)
- Festival International de Louisiane Best World Music Festival (About.com WorldMusic Reader’s Choice)